Sunday, March 14, 2010

Pacquiao v Clottey

Several things caught my attention during this fight. One, I was struck again at how poor the commentary was. There was a point, when I was already sick of the nonsense, when they were saying that Clottey wasn't an A+ fighter, that he was really an A- fighter; and I was yelling at the screen that to bad we didn't have A quality commentators. Guys, it wasn't Pac's power; it was his speed that won the fight. Notice when Kellerman was interviewing Clottey he said much the same thing. It was Pacquiao's speed.

The second thing that got me was that EVERY black man in the bar I went to was rooting for Clottey; they all were jumping at every jab and counter that landed in the first three rounds. The hispanics seemed to be split between Pacquiao and Clottey with the majority going for Pacquiao. The whites were also split, with most going for Pacquiao.

There were way over 100 people there. I would say close to 300 people with the split being about 1/3 black; a little more than 1/3 hispanic; a little less than a 1/3 white and a smattering of non-of-the-above (arab, south & east Asian). My sample was pretty good. As I was walking around and talking with people during the prelims. I got to speak to a fairly large percentage of the people there.

No comments:

Post a Comment